So our pal Anne, the Feedyard Foodie, has another blog that focuses on her life as a feedlot owner/manager (fun fact, she grew up in Palm Beach, Florida and then moved to Nebraska. Talk about a switch!).
Just the other day she challenged us to complete this “Fifty Nifty Questions About Me” post, as she had just done one on her blog. We took a look at it and figured it would be a good way for our readers to get to know us a little better. So in keeping up with the fun, here are Carolyn and my responses to these questions!
1. Are you a morning or a night person?
Carolyn: Hahaha! I’m a night person!
Jake: Morning-ish…I’m really a morning person on deer hunting opener, less so when I get an emergency call at 4 a.m.
2. Do you prefer sweet or salty foods?
Carolyn: That’s hard! I guess I like them both, because I LOVE food!
Jake: Sweet. I like sweet things, so I married Carolyn.
3. Ninjas or Pirates?
4. Ninjas or Pirates, discuss….
Carolyn: I am far more likely to fare well as a pirate than a ninja.
Jake: There be no question as to who is superior, arg! If ye don’t agree, ye can walk the plank!
5. Autobots or Decepticons?
Jake: I have no idear what these are, for ye see, I’m a pirate! ARGGGG!!!
6. What was your favorite childhood television program?
Carolyn: Bob Ross. Because it was full of happiness–happy trees, happy buildings, happy mountains–there was happiness everywhere! And in 30 minutes there was a masterpiece, right there!
Jake: Either the Magic School Bus or Mathnet–they were cool and I was a nerd.
7. Are you a collector of anything?
Carolyn: I collect recipes, because I like to eat (as previously stated).
Jake: I have a collection of holograms that were on the Wheaties boxes of the early 90s. Steve Young, Troy Aikman, etc. Still totally rad.
8. If you could be any animal, what would you be?
Jake: A bull elk–massive, majestic, king of the mountains.
Carolyn: I’d be a mountain lion–nom, nom, nom, nom elk!
9. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Carolyn: The ability to talk to animals. That’d be pretty handy for my line of work.
Jake: Time travel. I’d love to see what happened at different points in history.
10. What is usually your first thought when you wake up?
Carolyn: Five more minutes…I’ll wake up in five more minutes…
Jake: Breakfast! Where’s the bacon? Must make breakfast!
11. What do you usually think about right before falling asleep?
Carolyn: Jake and I pray together, and then I fall asleep right next to him. It’s lovely.
Jake: Breakfast! Where’s the bacon? Must make breakfast!
12. What’s your favorite color?
Jake: Red. Like the Cornhuskers.
13. What’s your favorite animal?
Carolyn: Pigs, because I love bacon!
Jake: Cattle, because I love ribeyes!
14. Do you believe in extraterrestrials or life on other planets?
Carolyn: Not really.
Jake: I’m open to it being a possibility, but I really don’t think about it at all.
15. Do you believe in ghosts?
16. Ever been addicted to a video/computer game?
Carolyn: I don’t think I was addicted to any games.
Jake: Haha, oh yeah. You want me to make a list?
17. If you were given 1 million dollars, what would you spend it on?
Carolyn: Pay off my student debt, and then probably buy ranch land.
Jake: That would put a dent in my student loans.
18. Have any bad habits?
Carolyn: Sugar, sugar is a really bad habit for me.
Jake: No, I gave all my nasty looking habits to the nuns over in Yankton. Oh yeah, dad jokes are my bad habit.
19. Which bad habits, if any, drive you crazy?
Carolyn: Bad manners, especially smacking your food when eating.
Jake: When people don’t follow up promptly to a voicemail or email, especially when it is important.
20. List 3 of your best personality traits.
Carolyn: I hate talking about myself, so I’ll tell you Jake’s. He is devoted to his family, he’s determined, and he’s very service oriented.
Jake: And Carolyn’s are kindness, even tempered, and self-motivated.
21. List 3 of your worst personality traits.
Carolyn: Sloth, getting cranky when I’m tired, and I eat other people’s food.
Jake: I talk too loud, too much, and don’t wait for the other person to finish their thought before I speak sometimes.
22. Have any celebrity crushes?
Carolyn: John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and Gerard Butler. I like the good guys who are a little rough around the edges.
Jake: I liked Amy Adams when I was younger, but then I met Carolyn, and she’s better.
23. List 1 thing that you wish you could change about yourself.
Carolyn: I wish I could eat as much chocolate as I wanted without gaining weight.
Jake: I wish my facial hair would come in as one color, instead of a mix of blonde, brown and red. I look like a neapolitan ice cream sandwich if I shave to a goatee.
24. Any tattoos or piercings?
Carolyn: I have holes all over my ears. Just there though.
Jake: Aside from where I’ve accidentally jabbed myself with a needle, I have no piercings. I am thinking about getting the “R Shield 6” Bang’s tattoo I put on heifers in my right ear, just to fit in.
25. What’s the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?
Carolyn: Probably eyes and then arms.
Jake: Their eyes. My Carolyn’s are enchanting.
26. What’s your dream date?
Carolyn: SKYFORCE!!! And then, go to Culvers.
Jake: Carolyn and I are hoping to go pronghorn hunting this fall, and that would be incredible.
27. What personality traits do you look for in a partner?
Carolyn: Kind to others and strong faith.
Jake: A deep faith in Christ and a joyful spirit.
28. What personality traits do you dislike in other people?
Carolyn: Blaming others for problems that they created.
29. Do you see yourself getting married in the next 5 years?
Carolyn: I hope not. If Jake died, it would probably take me longer than five years to get over it.
Jake: No. If Carolyn died, I’d become a priest.
30. Are you mostly a clean or a messy person?
Jake: Is “clessy” an appropriate answer? I’m kind of borderline.
31. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
Carolyn: Alaska. Because it is beautiful!
Jake: South Dakota’s great, but Wyoming or Montana would be cool too. Having that kind of big game hunting in your backyard would be incredible.
32. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Carolyn: Ireland, because I’m part Irish. And Austria, because I want to hear hills living with the sound of music!
Jake: New Zealand, the natural beauty I’ve seen in pictures looks incredible.
33. List 5 goals on your life’s to-do list:
Carolyn: Build a house where I can’t see my neighbors, learn to sew, be a better shot when pheasant hunting, run a 5k without stopping, and crush a food challenge somewhere.
Jake: Pay off these student loans, take an elk with my flintlock rifle, train a top-notch bird dog (I have good hopes for Cletus!), raise a few outstanding children, and invent a simple object that everyone in America needs so as it make a fortune on that product.
34. Name 1 regret you have:
Carolyn: Not learning to sew…yet!!!
Jake: That Chinese food in Yankton. Never again.
35. Name 1 thing that you miss about being a kid:
Carolyn: All the free time.
Jake: Playing Davy Crockett in the hayfort we built in the barn.
36. Name 1 thing that you love about being an adult:
Carolyn: I can eat ice cream for dinner if I so choose.
Jake: The toys are bigger and cooler as an adult than as a kid. But they cost more.
37. What’s your favorite song of the moment?
Carolyn: Of the moment and forever is Bohemian Rhapsody.
Jake: Anything Chris Stapleton.
38. What’s your favorite song of all time?
Carolyn: See above.
Jake: That’s tough. Either “A Train Robbery” by Levon Helm or “Barb Wire Halo” by Aaron Watson.
39. What’s your favorite thing to do on a Saturday night?
Carolyn: Going dancing with Jake, after going to Culver’s 🙂
Jake: Sleep without having an emergency call.
40. What’s your favorite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon?
Carolyn: Garden! I like gardening.
Jake: A leisurely pheasant or dove hunt in Bon Homme county. With friends preferably.
41. Have any hidden talents?
Carolyn: I can eat REALLY fast!
Jake: I can touch my tongue to my nose.
42. You’re about to walk the green mile, what do you have as your last meal?
Carolyn: Prime ribeye steak, cooked rare. Baked potato with extra sour cream and cheese. No vegetables because dog-gone it’s my last meal and I don’t want them! And a big piece of chocolate-caramel cheesecake.
Jake: Ditto, except I’d like some veggies and my steak medium-rare.
43. What would be your dream job?
Carolyn: Stay at home mom/part-time vet.
Jake: Taste quality control at the Grain Belt Brewery.
44. Which would you rather have, 100 million dollars or true love?
Carolyn: True love has been achieved. Next conquest, $100 million!
Jake: Well, I already have true love, so bring on the money! Carolyn and I are going on a vacation!
45. If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
Carolyn: No more student debt, owning the new Benelli 828U, and the ability to stop time, so I could get 5 more minutes of sleep in the morning.
Jake: The wind to at least slow down in South Dakota, my student loans would just go away, and every cow would calve unassisted.
46. Ever wish that you were born the opposite sex?
Carolyn and Jake: No.
47. Name 1 thing that not many people know about you:
Carolyn: I used to be on the Kansas State Women’s rowing team.
Jake: I do leathercrafting, and made all my belts, holsters, and billfolds.
48. If you HAD to change your name, what would you change it to?
Carolyn: I think the name Lydia is pretty.
Jake: Claudius Augustus Maximus. Sounds dignified.
49. Do you believe in the afterlife?
Carolyn and Jake: Of course.
50. How do you feel about cookies?
Carolyn: We have a love/hate relationship. I love to eat them and hate myself afterwards.
Jake: Strongly. I feel strongly positive about the cookie.
So there you have it, you now know half a hundred things about us you might not of known before. Which, technically, is 100 because there are two of us. At any rate, if you would like to know more about being cattle veterinarians and ranching, just look through the other posts on this blog!